Robotic Process Automation (RPA) has been in our lives with various use cases since early 2000s, yet fast implementation times and shift to digital transformation made RPA more popular among businesses. According to Gartner, RPA ecosystem was the fastest-growing segment of the global enterprise software market in 2018. The hype around RPA still continues as of 2022 and RPA market size is exceeding forecasts. Studies suggest that there are still a couple of years to reaching the plateau (At most 5 years according to Deloitte).
This article is a collection of 50+ up-to-date RPA statistics from the surveys and researches of reputable sources as of Q1 2022. In this list, you will find RPA stats about:
Market size forecasts
- The RPA industry will grow from$250 million in 2016 to $2.9 billion in 2021. (Forrester)
Though Forester made a reasonable estimate for 2016, this brought to mind a quote from Bill Gates: “Most people overestimate what they can do in one year and underestimate what they can do in ten years.” Here is why:
- Robotic process automation (RPA) software revenue grew 63% in 2018 to $846 million. With nine of the top 10 vendors changing market share position in 2018. (Gartner*)
- The RPA software market revenue is expected to reach $1.8B in 2021 (Gartner****)
- The global RPA market size is already valued at $1.40 billion in 2019 and is expected to reach $11 billion by 2027, expanding at a CAGR of 34% from 2020 to 2027 (Grand View Research).
- By 2025, the market for collaborative robotics is expected to reach $12 billion (MarketsAndMarkets)
- Potential economic impact of knowledge work automation is expected to be $5-7 trillion by 2025.(Automation Anywhere)
Why does RPA matter?
Currently, level of automation is still limited compared to the level of automation that can be achieved with existing technologies. However, it is hard to put numbers on this gap and RPA vendors of course want to quote high numbers here so please take these stats with a grain of salt:
- Employees spend 10%-25% of their time on repetitive computer tasks. (Automation Anywhere)
- IT departments spend 30% of their time on basic low level tasks(Automation Anywhere)
- 50% of companies spend between $5- $25 dollars for manual invoice processing(Automation Anywhere)
- A typical rules based process can be 70%-80% automated.(Automation Anywhere)
Business RPA adoption
- Due to Covid-19 and the shift to remote work, 76% of organizations have embraced automation, and will endure the shift to automation even post-covid. (PwC)
- As of June 2021, 20% of all organizations have adopted RPA in 2021, rising from the 13% adoption rate in 2020. (Computer Economics)
- 53% of respondents have already started their RPA journey and a further 19% of respondents plan to adopt RPA in the next two years.(Deloitte Global RPA Survey)
- Around 80% of finance leaders have implemented or are planning to implement RPA. (Gartner**)
- RPA is increasingly becoming an enterprise-level opportunity: for 64% of respondents on the RPA journey, it is a strategic or enterprise-wide initiative. This figure has grown significantly. Just 12 months ago, only 15% of respondents reported RPA being a partof a wider corporate initiative. (Deloitte Global RPA Survey)
- 98% of IT leaders say automating business processes is vital to driving business benefits.(Automation Anywhere)
Adoption by industry
- Manufacturing is the top industry to leverage RPA in 2021 (35%), followed by: (Acceleration Economy)
- Technology (31%)
- Healthcare (10%)
- Retail and CPG (8%)
- Finance (8%)
- Public sector (5%)
- Education (3%)
Estimates of future adoption
- 78% of those who have already implemented RPA expect to significantly increase investment in RPA over the next three years.(Deloitte Global RPA Survey)
- If this RPA growth trend continues, RPA will achieve “near universal adoption” in the next 5 years. (Deloitte Global RPA Survey)
Adoption of cognitive RPA
- As organizations progress in their adoption of RPA, they tend to become more ambitious with cognitive technologies. More than a quarter (28%) of those implementing and scaling RPA is also implementing cognitive automation, while only 6% of those that have not implemented RPA are progressing with cognitive automation.(Deloitte Global RPA Survey)
- More than 90%of C-level executives report some level of intelligent automation already exists within their organizations. (IBM)
Results of RPA adoption
- A total of 61% of participants reported their expectations of cost reduction being met or exceeded. (Deloitte Global RPA Survey)
- 63% of participants plan to engage with an implementation partner to support their RPA implementation, while 19% plan to use RPA vendors for support and 15% will handle RPA internally.(Deloitte Global RPA Survey)
- More than 90%of C-level executives using intelligent automation say their organization performs above average in managing organizational change in response to emerging business trends.(IBM)
- 75% of organizations profiled reported that they had already realized cost-saving targets by leveraging labor arbitrage in 2016. (Deloitte Global Outsourcing Survey)
- 80% of the automation effort which is focused on exception handling, can be improved thanks to better process understanding.(QPR)
- Automation will not displace employees, however, it is expected that 861,000 public sector jobs will be lost to automation by 2030 saving £17 billion off the public sector payments in 2030 compared to 2015. (Deloitte State of the State report)
RPA Benefits/ Results of implementation
- By 2024, organizations will lower operational costs by 30% by combining hyperautomation technologies with redesigned operational processes. (Gartner***)
- Organizations that have piloted RPA expect, on average, a 9-month payback period while, in reality, the payback achieved by those that have implemented and scaled RPA has been 12 months. (Deloitte Global RPA Survey)
- On average, an RPA bot costs 1/3 of an offshore employee and 1/5 of an onshore employee. (Gartner*****)
- There is an expectation that robots could deliver a significant portion of current transactional activities. On average, the expectation is that 20% of FTE capacity could be provided by robots.(Deloitte Global RPA Survey)
- This expectation matches the reality for those that have already implemented RPA. In fact, those that have scaled RPA appear to have had such a positive experience that their expectations are even more ambitious: they believe that 52% of FTE capacity could be provided by robots. This can enable the human workforce to be redeployed to more value adding activities. (Deloitte Global RPA Survey)
- RPA can reduce labor intensive tasks by 80%. (Automation Anywhere)
- Top performers earned nearly 4X on their RPA investments, while other enterprises earned nearly double. (Everest Group)
- RPA can provide cost savings ranging from 20%–60% of baseline FTE costs for financial services. (EY)
- By 2024, endpoint analytics and automation will help digital workplace service staff shift 30% of time spent on endpoint support and repair to continuous engineering. (Gartner******)
- 85% of respondents report that RPA met or exceeded their expectations for non-financial benefits such as accuracy, timeliness, flexibility.(Deloitte Global RPA Survey)
- More than 50%of C-level executives using intelligent automation have identified key operational processes that can be augmented or automated using AI capabilities. (IBM)
- 38% of managers report compliance improvements are the leading benefit of RPA and it is followed by improved productivity/performance (27%) (NICE).
- Lack of internal and IT resources is the top challenge facing RPA adoption, followed by staff resistance, process fragmentation, lack of clear vision, cost of implementation, data readiness, and finally fear of disruption. (Acceleration Economy)
- Only 3% of organizations have scaled their digital workforce.(Deloitte Global RPA Survey)
- The time and cost to deliver RPA tend to be underestimated by organizations. 63% said their expectations of time to implement were not met and 37% said their expectations of cost to implement were not met. (Deloitte Global RPA Survey)
- Only 17% of respondents faced some employee resistance when it comes to piloting RPA. This dropped to only 3% with respondents whowere implementing or scaling RPA. (Deloitte Global RPA Survey)
- For the majority of organizations (63%), implementation will involve working alongside a dedicated third-party partner due to a lack of specialist skills. (Deloitte Global RPA Survey)
- Most executives believe that their organization does not have the necessary data science, machine learning and other AI/cognitive skills for process automation. Percentages of executives who think their lack specific skillset for each automation capability are:
- 90% for basic process automation
- 89% for advanced process automation
- 75% for intelligent process automation (IBM)
- Only 20% of executives surveyed have yet to establish plans to retrain or reskill their workforce. (IBM)
For more RPA challenges and pitfalls, please see our RPA challenges article.
Top RPA vendor funding stats
- Uipath raised $1.2 billion funding in 6 funding rounds. (Crunchbase)
- Automation Anywhere raised $840 million funding in 4 rounds. (Crunchbase)
- Blue Prism Group raised $182 million funding in 5 funding rounds. (Crunchbase)
- Workfusion $180 million funding in 6 rounds. (Crunchbase)
For more information on RPA companies’ fundings and popularities, feel free to read our article.
Also, don’t forget to check out our comprehensive and data-driven list of:
- RPA Software
- RPA Consultant
If you’re looking for an RPA vendor but you don’t know which vendor to chose, you can read our RPA vendor selection guide or contact us:
Find the Right Vendors
- Acceleration Economy: State of RPA Survey 2021-2022
- Automation Anywhere
- Computer Economics
- Deloitte Global RPA Survey
- Deloitte Global Outsourcing Survey
- Deloitte State of the State report
- Everest Group
- Grand View Research
Cem founded the high tech industry analyst AIMultiple in 2017. AIMultiple informs ~1M businesses (as per similarWeb) including 55% of Fortune 500 every month.
Throughout his career, Cem served as a tech consultant, tech buyer and tech entrepreneur. He advised enterprises on their technology decisions at McKinsey & Company and Altman Solon for more than a decade. He led technology strategy and procurement of a telco while reporting to the CEO. He has also led commercial growth of deep tech companies that reached from 0 to 3M annual recurring revenue within 2 years.
Cem regularly speaks at international technology conferences. He graduated from Bogazici University as a computer engineer and holds an MBA from Columbia Business School.
Leave a Reply
YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED. REQUIRED FIELDS ARE MARKED *
RPA offers job opportunities to candidates in some well-known companies. The top can be NASA, some private industries, automobile sectors, and much more. If a candidate excels in this field, they may expect their salary from USD 50,000 to 165,000 per annum in the US.Which RPA tool is in demand in 2022? ›
Blue prism is a field-proven, modern and highly popular tool for enterprise-wide process automation. You can use it to model entire processes, or parts of them, with your company's business rules.
Robotic Process Automation (RPA) tools can help businesses improve the efficiency and effectiveness of their operations faster and at a lower cost than other automation approaches.Is RPA good for future? ›
Despite providing high returns on investments, RPA projects frequently fail to meet business expectations. Many achieve early success with simple RPA projects and realize high returns. However, when leaders look into the future of RPA, they recognize that bot maintenance burdens and overhead increase costs over time.Does RPA have a good future? ›
Many large organizations have already put robotic process automation (RPA) to work in their businesses, yet there is still so much more potential to use the technology to drive better productivity, efficiency and customer service.Which RPA is best? ›
- Comparison of Top RPA Tools.
- #1) Keysight's Eggplant.
- #2) Inflectra Rapise.
- #3) Blue Prism.
- #4) UiPath.
- #5) Automation Anywhere.
- #6) Pega.
- #7) Contextor.
For the third consecutive year, Gartner has recognized UiPath as a Magic Quadrant Leader in the Robotic Process Automation (RPA) space. In the new 2021 Gartner® Magic Quadrant™ for Robotic Process Automation, UiPath is once again placed highest among all evaluated vendors for ability to execute.Which is the easiest RPA tool to learn? ›
UiPath is the top tool and also the easiest tool to learn RPA because it does not need any prior knowledge of programming languages to use it and implement RPA. UiPath is also the best tool in terms of popularity and usability. It is the easiest and simplest RPA tool with drag and drop functionality for all activities.How is RPA different from automation? ›
RPA works by imitating human actions to complete the tasks. Traditional automation does not imitate human actions but rather executes pre-defined programmed instructions.What is RPA strategy? ›
What is an RPA Strategy. An RPA strategy is a comprehensive plan for how an organization will implement RPA into its workflows. Adopting RPA without a well-intentioned plan will result in misaligned expectations, skill shortcomings, and other pitfalls that could take away from the success of your automation.
Robotic process automation (RPA) is a software technology that makes it easy to build, deploy, and manage software robots that emulate humans actions interacting with digital systems and software.Does RPA increase ROI? ›
The Institute for RPA estimates that RPA solutions can deliver an immediate savings of 25% to 40% in labor costs alone. Additionally, McKinsey Digital has found that automating business processes with RPA can result in an ROI of between 30 and 200 percent in the first year.What is KPI in RPA? ›
This is a measure of the output of your company at a particular time. Given the reduction in cycle time, RPA deployment typically boosts this KPI, which is an index of successful deployment.What is ROI in RPA? ›
There is a simple ROI formula. It's just difficult to apply it to RPA. You calculate ROI by subtracting the initial value of your investment from the final value of the investment. This is called the net return. You then divide the net return by the cost of the investment and multiply by 100.How RPA is changing the world? ›
On a global scale, RPA will allow for farmers to continue at a much higher productivity rate and play an important role to ensure global food security long-term. RPA is used in agriculture to control many key processes and metrics to help operations run smoothly by dealing with mass volumes of data in various formats.Is RPA still in demand? ›
Learn RPA Tools From Mindmajix:
|Automation Anywhere||Blue Prism|
|NICE Actimize RPA||and more....|
Artificial Intelligence (AI)
It is believed that the next transitional phase to RPA will be AI. The next stage of RPA will move beyond rule-based technology and start to include AI aspects.
RPA continues to have a high growth trajectory: Gartner projects that global RPA software revenue will reach $1.89 billion in 2021, an increase of 19.5% from 2020. And many reports indicate the pandemic has increased both the demand for and importance of RPA.Is RPA a good career in 2022 Quora? ›
RPA is good for anyone, IT companies are changing process to move the processes to Bots and RPA is playing a very important role of doing it. Learn any programming and RPA this give you boost to start your career in IT.What is the future of RPA UiPath? ›
RPA is already a sizable behind-the-scenes market worth billions in spending every year, and it's rapidly expanding. After its go-public offering, UiPath finished April 2021 with $1.8 billion in cash and equivalents and no debt.
RPA has become one of the most high-in-demand technologies around the world. As a result, an RPA Developer salary in India is significantly increasing.Is RPA job stressful? ›
As a result, RPA – like AI and other forms of IT automation – can cause anxiety and fear. Dismissing RPA anxiety will likely make it worse, as silence from leadership creates a breeding ground for rumors and pushback.Does RPA need coding? ›
Yes, you need programming skills to become an RPA expert, even an RPA developer but also a non-programmer can learn RPA tools that include fewer codes. However, there is no mandate to have an expert in one or two programming languages, a candidate from any programming knowledge opt RPA skills.Is RPA easy to learn? ›
The course material for this RPA fundamentals program is specifically designed for beginners, and no coding experience is necessary. This makes the program quite easy as a starting point.